Halloween Mini-Game - Part 3!

Discussion in 'Official Forum Games' started by Rymar, Oct 30, 2022.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rymar

Rymar Board Administrator Team Seafight

Halloween Mini-Game - Part 3!

Ahoy Pirates!

The day 3 task has no tricks, just a pure 2nd grade maths!

Will you crack it?

part3.jpg

The answer for this task is a number, and it will become part 3 of your voucher code name.

Enjoy!

Don't forget to come back tomorrow for part 4!

2. bonnie66

bonnie66 Active Author

can we have ore of these please

3. bonnie66

bonnie66 Active Author

4. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

These are cool ! I hope you will tell us how many characters are in the Final Code (that way we have a small hint)!;)

5. Dream~Crusher

Dream~Crusher Someday Author

AH! I found an error (while I still work to solve the code).

Example Cat = A
    Spider = B
    Bat = C

The last line of this puzzle says "A + B X C = ?"
    But this is written wrong! It is either (A + B) x C = ? OR A + (B x C) = ? (So this may be why I am having trouble with this part).

Not being critical, just pointing out the difference yields two different answers.

6. .Kenze.

.Kenze. Old Hand

BXC always first. Then multiply A. ;)

7. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

I appreciate your trying to help me! But you cannot multiply A in their example. A is added to the next number in the equation. It must be one of the two examples I gave above.

8. .Kenze.

.Kenze. Old Hand

Well I got the answer.

9. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

Since there are only two different possible answers, I'll get it as well. But the formula is not written correctly, since it can be interpreted two different ways with two different answers. But congrats anyways!:)

10. 8luckyjack8

8luckyjack8 Exceptional Talent

Part 4 says this is second grade math. In second grade you would certainly work the equation left to right. Furthermore you are forgetting that you are adding A, not multiplying it. If you did get this part correct then the author of this puzzle is intentionally confusing us--if not then you are intentionally trying to confuse us.

11. 8luckyjack8

Correction: Part 3 not 4.

12. pwaalios

pwaalios Advanced

As an engineer I can confirm that the formula is written perfectly fine.
    Basic math rules state which calculations are to be made in which order.
    So for your info - you do the calculations from left to right, yet you have to consider that in this example you have to do multiplying first.

13. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

Thank you pwaalios! I have checked this out in greater detail, and you are indeed correct. I appreciate the clarification!:)

14. 8luckyjack8

Why do you need to put it first?

15. bonnie66

bonnie66 Active Author

number

16. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

It appears to be because of this:

What are the 5 mathematical rules?

[​IMG]
    Rules of Ordering in Mathematics - BODMAS
    • Brackets (parts of a calculation inside brackets always come first).
    • Orders (numbers involving powers or square roots).
    • Division.
    • Multiplication.
    • Addition.
    • Subtraction.

17. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

NOTE: PEMDAS term is used mainly in the US, but in India and the UK, it is called BODMAS. But there is no difference between them.
    PEMDAS Rule

PEMDAS rule states that the order of operation starts with the parentheses first or the calculation which is enclosed in brackets. Then the operation is performed on exponents(degree or square roots) and later we do operations on multiplication & division and at last addition and subtraction. Let us discuss in brief.
    PEMDAS: Order of Operations

• P: Solve the calculation or equation which are present in the parentheses or brackets like small brackets( ), curly brackets{ } or big brackets[ ]. Priority is given to brackets first.
    • E: Exponential expressions should be calculated first before the operations of multiplication, division, addition and subtraction. Usually, they are expressed in power or roots, like 22 or √4.
    • MD: Then perform multiplication or division from left to right, whichever comes first in the equation.
    • AS: At last, perform addition or subtraction whichever comes first while moving from left to right.

18. 8luckyjack8

I highly doubt this was from a second grade textbook.

19. The*Defiant

The*Defiant Forum Freak

I absolutely agree with you! No way! (The educational system we currently have is why we are experiencing "the dumbing down of America". Children can't even spell or use proper grammar). :(

20. 8luckyjack8

Thanks for your information, it certainly helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.