Seafight Client

Discussion in 'Users’ Corner' started by Seren, Oct 18, 2017.

Dear forum reader,

if you’d like to actively participate on the forum by joining discussions or starting your own threads or topics, please log into the game first. If you do not have a game account, you will need to register for one. We look forward to your next visit! CLICK HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seren

Seren Team Leader Team Seafight

Seafight Client

Ahoy Pirates,

Yesterday we went live with our Seafight client and we are very curious about how our players like it, e.g. if there are things to be improved, and also the general opinion of our players concerning the client etc.

Therefore we would like you to leave your feedback, so we can forward your thoughts and comments.

Your Seafight Team

2. Grand-mariner™

Grand-mariner™ Forum Veteran

There is absolutely no way yet that I am downloading a piece of untrusted software which has been developed by this company, which will probably invalidate the warranty on my laptop for downloading malicious software.

Firstly test it out yourselves thoroughly Bigpoint, (or let the developers take it to the beach parties;) to see what the chosen privileged few think first) before expecting your customers to become your guinea pigs. Then, only once you are happy to release it to the public and accept legal liability, actually go public with it.

Perhaps taking out some good indemnity insurance that covers you for any damage your software may cause to the public's equipment, may just be a very wise precaution knowing your past track record on reliability and efficiency?;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  3. frankthetank1974

frankthetank1974 Board Analyst

agreed 100%

4. =308Marksman=

=308Marksman= Regular

Wont touch it either.

Past experiences with downloaded games that dont work and leave ya with days worth of
    clean up work to get rid of the down load, virus and malware scans, resetting restore points,
    combing the net,searching out needed files that got removed during the uninstall process.
    and to get my lap top to work properly again taught me to avoid game down loads.

Then in between all the scans try speaking with support only to get the ever famous " Its not us....So it must be you"
    types of responses back... That is, of course, you actually do get any response back.

BTDT..... aint doin it again. not for any game !!!
    Believe it or not...being a browser game was one of SF biggest attractions.

Also, it doesnt take a crystal ball, a seance or a Ouija board to see what the next step is or would be.

Sooner or later there will be a $ amount connected to that download.
    Guaranteeing SF/BP's income and account holder base as we would all be paying to play.

BP/SF own track record speaks for its self..... $$$ more $$$ and even more $$

I didnt/dont mind spending money for my boat to work it up.

Now that the point of the game is to out spend the next guy....???
    I already know thats just not possible.... So I wont bother with trying,

The very second the regular browser version goes bye bye... So do I.

There is no flippin way I want,or will use a BP/SF icon on my desktop.
    I control what I want to look at on my desk top.
    Not BP/SF

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  5. A-R-K-Y

A-R-K-Y Forum Overlooker

Honestly, I am a little disappointed. I read the following quote from the Official Announcements when you first announced this.
    When I read that I was thinking great, no more Flash. Now I am aware that this is only the first step, however what it seems like you've done is simply reskin an already popular browser, with reduced features, and called it a Seafight Client, which still uses Flash.

What would be good, is if you plainly tell us if you are (as it seems) going to use your own custom browser to support flash after the other browsers stop (in which case, security concerns?), or if you are aiming to get rid of flash completely?

I understand that not much time has past since you probably started working on this, and expecting you to recode the game without flash in that time period while still maintaining and expanding the game is not realistic. Yet currently, I and a lot of players do seem disappointed due to the lack of information about your vision and seeing what we have currently got.

Now onto review of the current version of the Client.

Firstly, a Mac version needs to be created, along with the 32bit and Linux versions being updated so they work correctly. Although, I personally had no issues installing the client, some are unable too; some players I have seen are suffering from random crashes, and some fail when installing.

Having used the client all day yesterday and all day today, again I personally have not suffered from any lag. However, I do not normally suffer from lag using any other browser either. Some players I have spoken too have said that the Client reduces there lag, some said the lag increases using this.

Features I would like implemented to begin with:
    • Custom context menu on pages which are not the Seachart.
      • Copy and Paste for login form, forum, logbook etc (yes Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V works however some users shall be unaware of them)
      • Open in new tab for links in the Forum, Seafight Homepage
    • Zoom +/- feature
    • X to close additional tabs (like the forum)
    • Password manager
      • Allow us to change saved passwords easily in the manager
      • Show the saved usernames when double clicking the username field
    • A 'home' button to take us back to the login page and relog without needing to close the Client and reopen it
    • Reload button, back button, forward button (as its common practice and for user ease of use)
    • A way to hide "File" and "About" line, hide the buttons listed above, possibly even the tabs. Any extra room we can have at the top of the window means more room on the Seachart.
    • When double clicking selectable text on the Seachart, highlight the whole word. (E.g. IDs in the Spy, with other browsers doubling clicking this would select the whole ID, making it quicker and easier to copy)
    • Increased performance (can always be increased)

Problems I have encountered:
    • Pressing "Delete" in the chat enters a space
    • Sometimes the hotkeys seem not to work, this could be to the client losing focus - once clicking the seachart again they continue working.
    • When opening the Client through the Browser, Flash is not recognised. You have to open it through the Desktop shortcut.
    Other than them I have not had any "problems" myself.

I look forward to future updates of the Client, and hope that you share with us more about your vision for this. I will be glad to test any future versions you release unlike the posters above, as the more bugs we find now, the better it will be when its complete. Plus I believe playing this game on a Client made for Seafight would be better anyway, and you'd be using that to test events etc so maybe i'd have less problems [​IMG] .

-Arky

MONSTER., CapnCanard and ♥§ea§♥ like this.
  6. America

America Active Author

So far client is working better than mozilla. Less lag during battles. Not always able to log onto client.

7. Alvijevitch

Alvijevitch Forum Apprentice

For me it's the other way around, with the client I have 30fps after a while, but on my browser 50 at all times.

8. kyloe

kyloe Forum Master

I know what there vision is, they are trying to figure out how they can charge us to us the new "Client Seafight".

Lady.Wolf and Lil`Wolf like this.
  9. America

America Active Author

if charging for the client is the new game I will be playing something else

Lady.Wolf likes this.
  10. Erin418

Erin418 Forum Greenhorn

Same as A-R-K-Y to be honest.
    Was hoping for so much, just to get exactly what I expected :/. A bad browser, which can't even close a forum tab.

I mean, I know people who have tried to rebuild seafight for fun have done a better job on Game Maker, yet a company of this size quickly hacks a bad browser and presents it as a client.

Sending this from the client, have high hopes you guys will have started working on something that works natively on our computers. That's what everyone wants.

11. Smaller

Smaller Forum Apprentice

I agree with arky and the above, its just a ripoff browser xd. add a fullscreen option than we can start talking xd

12. frankthetank1974

frankthetank1974 Board Analyst

personally I don't trust this client what could be in it ??? malware virus`s etc ? this is bigpoint after all there record for things working well we all know that ... ill keep my pc and bank details safe ...No Thanks Guys .

13. Lil`Wolf

Lil`Wolf Junior Expert

Couldn't of said it better!

14. CapnCanard

CapnCanard Forum Greenhorn

While I may agree at many levels, this is the same strategy Microsoft uses with their new new os and sw releases

15. CapnCanard

CapnCanard Forum Greenhorn

I'd like to see a back button for browser page; utilization of r-mouse for copy/paste; Auto fill cell at logon, for pw's et al.
    Can't wait for Flash to become obsolete, it is of tremendous hinderance.
    That's it guys, don't think it'll help any to complain. That's never worked before...Maybe fix that too. :)

16. -redak-

-redak- Active Author

The seafight client is a sham. Complete browser ripoff (it does pass a virus test though).

Took me less than 10 minutes to install, check it out, and uninstall it again.

Unistaller does not work (surprise), so you need to do it manually.

17. MONSTER.

MONSTER. Forum Apprentice

I want all the above please today would be good before I use it. Zoom a must cannot see the one u put on.

18. ACE-shot

ACE-shot Forum Apprentice

can someone give me the url to download the client for a x32 bit pc?

19. [UP©]♥Jerumane♥PT

[UP©]♥Jerumane♥PT Someday Author

Client lost. Not work as before.

20. For some reason since update when you log onto client then click start game it loads back page again have to kick start game again then loads as loged in then have to click for 3rd time to start seachart come on fix this to much a pain to use client like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.